It seems I can’t escape a conversation about Obamacare. The name is catchy, and people feel they should be talking about it, but do people really know what it is? I did some digging to give you some quick facts about Obamacare, and I also gave you a link to do some further research. Whether you are for or against it, just get to know the facts.
- Obamacare is officially known as ‘Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act’ or PPACA
- Some of the PPACA rules are already in effect such as: fast-food chains displaying calorie counts; increased rebated though medicare; forbidding insurance companies on discriminating based on ‘preexisting conditions’ or disabilities; allows young people to stay on their parents’ insurance until 26 years old; and insurers can’t drop a client once they are sick to name a few.
- In 2013, those making over $200,000 a year will see a 0.9% tax increase
- In 2014, there will be no ‘preexisting conditions’. Meaning, if you already have an illness or disability, you can switch insurers without being pre-screened. This helps people with terminal illnesses who would have been previously denied insurance. But, insurance companies are for-profit business and do not wish to take on people who will cost them money and not increase their bottom line.
- 2014 also marks the year that having insurance is MANDATORY, if you can afford it. If you opt not to get insurance, you will have to pay a fee instead. This was created because many people were waiting until they got sick to get insurance. Now, they must have insurance or pay the fee.
- There will be changes yearly, until year 2020.
What exactly is the debate?
One group believes its great that insurance will be offered to all, because there is no more ‘pre-existing conditions’. Another group believes its wrong to force anyone to pay for insurance, or anything they don’t freely want to pay for.
Whether you are for or against the bill, I have to say that it is amazing that people are finally paying attention to the laws that are being made around them. I hope we continue to wake back up and voice opinions and concerns little by little. But have we become aware of our government and politics a little too late? Meaning, have we lost the control that a democracy was designed for us to have?? That’s for a different post. This one was to be strictly informative regarding Obamacare/PPACA.
For more information, please take note of this VERY DETAILED breakdown HERE.